Plural Words Edit
If the last letter is a consonant, the vowel before it is removed. If this is not pronouncable, the vowel is replaced by an è, or an 'i' if the letter is already an è.
tòlèm - tòlm Edit
nìsìn - nìsèn Edit
There are many rules about gender.
- To show gender, the consonant closest to the middle is changed, or has a letter added before or after it.
- If there are two consonants touching, this affects both.
- If the two closest ones are not touching, whichever one is stressed is changed. (If none are stressed, change the first one.)
- Two consonants that make one sound are treated as one.
- If the letter added is the same as the one before or after it, remove the letter.
- If two letters are added before another, whichever one goes directly before is second.
- All changes are made at the same time. For example, if an M was replaced with R, and a T was added before the M, you would get TR.
- Multiple changes can be made, such as race and sex.
For example, tòrm, the word for historian.
- tòm (R added directly before letter) - male
- tòtfrm (TF added directly before letter) - female
- tò (letter replaced with M) - human
- tòlm (letter replaced with L) - elf
- tòdm (letter replaced with D) - dwarf
- tògm (letter replaced with G) - halfling
- tòcm (letter replaced with C) - orc, goblin, or similar monster
- tòlèm (È added directly after letter) - half human (in this case, half human and elf)
Human male historian - tòrmm - tòr /rtoʊ/
Dwarven female historian - tòtfdm /'toʊθˌd(ə)m/
Orcish male historian - tòrcm /'toʊˌc(ə)m/
There is only one change in case in Aran, which I've shown below.
For example, nìsìn, the word for kitten.
- nìsìtf (last two letters and any vowels directly before them replaced with ìtf) - subject or nominative - the world (is, does, ...)
- nìsìn (same) - object or accusative - (something affects) the world
- nìsìn (same) - vocative - O world!
- nìsìn (same) - possessive or genitive - the world’s
- nìsìn (same) - indirect object or dative - (given, sold, etc.) to the world
- nìsìtf (last two letters and any vowels directly before them replaced with ìtf) - ablative - (something is done) by the world