Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Back to Englisc
Prepositions serve to tell what role a noun is doing in a sentence in relation to what the subject is doing: I go in the house, he works with the hammer and so on. In Englisc, this requires memorizing the case a noun takes with certain prepositions.
- andlang - along, alongside; wiȝ fareþ andlang þes Huses - we travel along the house
- ȝonseids - on that side of; mein Hus is ȝonseids þer Stræte - my house is on that side of the street
- þisseids - on this side of;
- æfter - after, behind, according to
- æt - at, by, in, on, upon
- buten (from be, uten) - outside of; without, free from
- mid - with
- of - from, away from, out of; sometimes with ut for emphasize: Kum þu of þem Hus ut! - come out of the house!
- onmang - among
- onufen - upon
- tomiddes - in the midst of
- toward - toward; genitive: in the direction of, towards
- wiþ - against, towards, to, opposite; he fihteþ wiþ þie Covenant - he's fighting against the Covenant.
- ær - before (temporally)
- beæftan - behind, after (sequentially, in an order)
- beforrn - in front of, before (spatially, temporally, in order)
- beȝonden - beyond, on the other side of
- behenen - on this side of
behinden - behind, after (spatially)
- benorðen, besuðen, beeasten, bewesten - to the north/south/east/west of; wiȝ sind benorðen þer Burg - we're north of the city. Ga besuðen þisser Stræte and þu findest þat Markt - go south of this street and you'll find the market
- berihte - near, beside
- bufen - over, above
- buten - outside of
- in - in, inside
- innen - inside of
- niðer - down, from a higher to lower position; ic loke niðer þen Tramet - I look down the page
- on - on, on top of
- under - under, underneath
- up - up
- These prepositions can often form subordinating conjunctions in combination with -þem: ærþem þu ofgæst, nim þeinen Broðer to Skole - before you leave, take your brother to school;
- Capital: A, Æ, B, C, D, Ð, E, F, G, Ȝ, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, Œ, P, Q, R, S, T, Þ, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
- Lowercase: a, æ, b, c, d, ð, e, f, g, ȝ, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, œ, p, q, r, s, t, þ, u, v, w, x, y, z